team were not active again until the 1950’s when they became
known as Uí Donnabhain Rossa CLG Mullach Breac, when they
registered a team under this name to play in the 1953 season.
Three of the names from the 1930’s reappeared in this year,
namely Tommy Cunnigham, Bob McClure and Eddie O’Hanlon.
In the early 1950’s when there was no
football team in the parish, a group of men and young lads
revived the idea of starting a team locally. This venture was
lead by a young man, Jim Boylan (RIP). It was decided a meeting
should be held in the local Parochial hall after Sunday Mass to
seek the support from the more serious men in the Parish. After
much debate, it soon became clear that support was forthcoming
for such a venture. It was then decided to form a committee.
However, as the
date to register a team had passed in 1952, it was decided to go
for it in 1953. In the meantime, the committee agreed to ballot
the other clubs in the surrounding parishes for friendly matches
any week or Sunday night. As it transpired, the club played two
games every week for the duration of the summer. This was ideal
preparation for the team to begin its campaign in 1953. The
committee that was formed in 1952 was as follows:
Hanratty; Secretary: James O’Neill; Treasurer: Tommy Toner:
Committee Members: Master Frank Mallon; Jim Boylan; Jim Gildea;
Tommy Cunningham; Francie Boylan; Ardle O’Hanlon; Barney Og
Mulligan; John McGrath and Bob McClure.
The next task
facing the committee was to acquire a field for playing home
matches and, on which to train. A field was rented in
Ballindarragh from the late Tom Kelly. This field along with
two others acquired at a later date were to become known as
O’Donovan Rossa Park on the outskirts of Markethill.
O’Donnavan Rossa Team in the 1950’s
Back Row (L-R): Sean
Boylan, Kevin McNamee, Francie Livingstone, Eddie O’Hanlon, Brendan
O’Hanlon, Leo Feighan, Bobby McClure
Front Row (L-R): Liam
Boylan, Seamus Mallon, Jim Boylan, Colm McNamee, Jimmy Feighan,
on the 1950's